Most people want to be lucky. Many crave success. But what is better than both of those? Living in the flow of God’s blessing. What is the flow of blessing? It is the favor of God actively manifest in your life as a direct response to your intentional alignment with Biblical promises, principles, and connection to the purpose of blessing.
“Blessed people must point to Divine favor to explain their place in life”Pastor Caleb Adams | Christian Life Tabernacle | Memphis TN
This quote speaks to the fact that when you are blessed by God, your life is so different than the average person or what you could have been that you must point back to God’s help to explain how you got to where you are now. This is the ultimate result of living in the flow of blessing.
How we are blessed
There are several ways that we are blessed. The primary blessing from God is His gift of salvation and spiritual connection. Without that, none of the other blessings would have meaning. As Christians, we are also blessed with Joy, Peace, Strength, and more. God is good to His children!
However, there are also natural blessings that God has in store for us.
In short, God blesses us so we can provide for our personal needs and desires. Beyond that though, He also blesses us to be able to finance the work of the Kingdom of God. For more information about what the Bible says about God’s blessings check out our post about God’s Plan For Money.
Stepping into the flow of blessing
Alignment is the most important concept to grasp for getting into the flow of blessing. You have to intentionally position yourself under the heavenly faucet of blessing so it can pour into your life.
“The flow of God’s blessing is directly connected to how many Biblical principles you are willing to incorporate into the work or field of labor you are in.”Pastor Caleb Adams | Christian Life Tabernacle | Memphis TN
Imagine a heavenly faucet that is pouring out blessings. If you are going to get under the flow you must be lined up. As long as you stay aligned with the flow you will soon have more than enough for yourself and plenty of extra to support the work of the Lord and give to others.
God is the creator of opportunity
We are limited in our finite humanity but God is not limited by our constraints! Many times though, we put God in our ‘box’ and live without experiencing all that God has for us. We think that our current circumstances define our possible future.
However, when we step out of our box and allow God to create a better outcome for us since He can create opportunities and orchestrate situations for our benefit. Remember, when your finances and vocational efforts are aligned with Biblical principles and focused on helping further the kingdom mission; God has a vested interest in your personal prosperity.
“But you shall [earnestly] remember the Lord your God, for it is He Who gives you power to get wealth, that He may establish His covenant which He swore to your fathers, as it is this day.”Deuteronomy 8:18 APMC
Fruitfulness: The impetus of blessing
God’s command to Adam, Noah, and His disciples was always to go and be fruitful. When we diligently produce fruit in our lives, He blesses our efforts. When we are fruitful we are fulfilling God’s command.
The Bible is very clear that blessings and resources flow from those who aren’t fruitful to those who are. The parable of the talents illustrates this principle. The fruitful servants were rewarded and the unfruitful servant had his talent taken away. The same principle applies to how we handle our lives and finances as well.
We also see the parable of the sower who sowed seed. Some yielded a 30 fold increase, some 60, and some a 100 fold! This lets us know that not everyone has the same level of fruitfulness. On the other hand, it also indicates that there is an opportunity for increased levels of fruitfulness.
Expanding your capacity for blessing
Increasing your fruitfulness naturally increases your capacity for blessing. When you demonstrate that God can trust you to properly handle blessing, He will gladly open the windows of heaven and pour it out.
How does one expand their capacity for blessing? Below are some key areas to work on in your pursuit of living in the flow of blessing.
- Pursue a relationship with God first
- Be careful to pursue the blesser, not just the blessing.
- “But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.” Matthew 6:33
- Be a wise financial steward
- If you don’t manage the money you have now very well, why would God bless you with more to mismanage?
- “There are precious treasures and oil in the dwelling of the wise, but a self-confident and foolish man swallows it up and wastes it.” Proverbs 21:20
- Network with successful people
- When you surround yourself with people who are successful and exhibit Biblical principles in their life and business you instinctively challenge yourself to rise to their level.
- “He that walketh with wise men shall be wise: but a companion of fools shall be destroyed.” Proverbs 13:20
- Embrace generosity in all areas
- Just as you have freely received the blessing of God, remember to be generous to others.
- “The liberal person shall be enriched, and he who waters shall himself be watered.” Proverbs 11:25
- Be looking for big opportunities
- Remember that God is the creator of opportunity so be on the lookout for big opportunities that He is sending your way!
- “Commit your work to the Lord, and your plans will be established.” Proverbs 16:3
Now that you have a picture of what it is like to be living in the flow of God’s blessing, let me ask you this, what false limits have you put on God’s ability to work through you for the benefit of His kingdom? Have you settled for less than what you could be simply because you can’t figure out how to succeed on your own?
Let me encourage you that the promise of blessing and provision is alive and well! The key is to stay connected to purpose and apply the principles found in God’s Word. If you follow this process and work diligently you can live in the flow of blessing!
If you would like to learn more about these concepts check out our Podcast with Pastor Caleb Adams about The Virtue of Business and Business As Mission. We also have a playlist of recommended sermons on this topic as well that you can access on SoundCloud here.